Shrub selection and placement is a very important element of any successful landscape or garden design. Variety including sun or shade, compact or large, deciduous or evergreen need to be taken into consideration when choosing the right shrub for the specific location. Shrub texture, flowering time, and color can also influence your decision.
We have selected the following shrubs for their landscape and garden versatility here in Central Illinois, but do not hesitate to contact us for any special orders or questions you may have about another particular shrub.
- First call J.U.L.I.E. to have all utilities marked before you dig.
- Place shrub next to proposed location.
- Next, dig the hole deep enough for the container or ball and allow an extra 6" on each side of the ball leaving 1 - 2" of the root ball above the existing grade.
- Place the shrub ball carefully in the hole, pull the burlap from the top half, and slit the bottom half. In addition, remove any wire or rope caging. If the shrub is container grown, remove the container. If roots are encircling the bottom of the container, use a sharp knife to cut them apart.
- Backfill around the ball and lightly compact the soil as you are backfilling the hole. This will assist in removing any excess air pockets in the hole.
- Water the shrub. (approximately 1/2 hour with a small gentle stream of water)
- Mulch or rock around the base of shrub, extending out to the perimeter of the ball or covering the bed in which it is placed with a depthness of 2 - 3".
- Prune out any dead or damaged branches.
*Note: all deciduous shrubs should be covered with a tarp while moving.
*Note: Grade the bed area and allow a slight pitch away from the building for accurate drainage.
Garden and Design Center:
Saturday: 9am - 4pm
Monday-Friday: 8am - 5pm
"Grieder's is an amazing place, so much to choose from landscaping to plants to holiday decor and more! The best customer service I've experienced!"
To see more of what what people are saying about Grieder landscaping, visit our Review/Comment page
Employment Opportunities Available
Garden & Design Center
Full time Associate
Outgoing person with plant knowledge and great communication skills!
Prefer a degree in Horticulture or extensive knowledge with plants and their care. Our garden center carries trees, shrubs, perennials and annuals and you will be required to assist clients with plant care and selection. We also sell hardscape materials for DIY landscaping. Experience in a garden center will be a plus. You will be required to lift 50lbs and will participate in our custom potting program. This position is part of a three person full time team and will share in all operational responsibilities throughout the year as required..
Friendly, helpful individuals that will assist in plant and product care. Our garden center carries trees, shrubs, perennials and annuals and you will be required to assist clients with plant care and selection. We also sell hardscape materials for DIY landscaping. Experience in a garden center will be a plus. You will be required to lift 50lbs and the staffing needs require that the individuals for these position are able to operate our Caterpillar inloader and smaller tractor to load clients bulk materials into their trucks and trailers. You will take phone orders and operate our registers.
Please send your resume to email@example.com