A tree is a perennial woody plant that has a main trunk and usually a distinct crown. Trees can serve several different functions in the landscape. They can provide shade, block wind, reduce pollution and noise, attract wildlife, and creative a privacy screen all while being beautiful. Trees range in size from 12 feet tall to over 60 feet tall. They also provide four full seasons of interest with beautiful spring flowers, full summer canopies, colorful fall foliage, and distinctive winter silhouettes. Trees are considered evergreen if their foliage stays year round. They are deciduous if they shed their foliage in autumn. Trees provide much environmental and economic value as well as create the framework for our outdoor rooms.
- First call J.U.L.I.E. to have all utilities marked before you dig.
- Place tree next to proposed location.
- Next, dig the hole deep enough for the ball, leaving 1 - 2" of the ball above the ground, and allow an extra 12" on each side of the ball.
- Place the tree ball carefully in the hole, pull the burlap from the top half, and slit the bottom half. In addition, remove any wire or rope caging. If the tree is container grown, remove the container and loosen up the root ball.
- Backfill around the ball, and lightly compact the soil. This will assist in removing any excess air pockets in the hole.
- Water the tree in well. (approximately 1/2 to 1 hour with a gentle small stream of water)
- Mulch around base of tree about 2 1/2 - 3" deep extending out beyond the perimeter of the tree. Mulch should not be piled up around the trunk of the tree.
- Stake the tree well with 2 - 3 stakes. Use 12 gauge wire as tie offs and place hose sections around any wire that is in contact with the tree.
- Prune out any dead or damaged branches.
*Note: all deciduous trees should be covered with a tarp while moving the tree if it has leaves on it.
Garden and Design Center:
Saturday: 9am - 4pm
Monday-Friday: 8am - 5pm
"Grieder's is an amazing place, so much to choose from landscaping to plants to holiday decor and more! The best customer service I've experienced!"
To see more of what what people are saying about Grieder landscaping, visit our Review/Comment page
Employment Opportunities Available
Garden & Design Center
Full time Associate
Outgoing person with plant knowledge and great communication skills!
Prefer a degree in Horticulture or extensive knowledge with plants and their care. Our garden center carries trees, shrubs, perennials and annuals and you will be required to assist clients with plant care and selection. We also sell hardscape materials for DIY landscaping. Experience in a garden center will be a plus. You will be required to lift 50lbs and will participate in our custom potting program. This position is part of a three person full time team and will share in all operational responsibilities throughout the year as required..
Friendly, helpful individuals that will assist in plant and product care. Our garden center carries trees, shrubs, perennials and annuals and you will be required to assist clients with plant care and selection. We also sell hardscape materials for DIY landscaping. Experience in a garden center will be a plus. You will be required to lift 50lbs and the staffing needs require that the individuals for these position are able to operate our Caterpillar inloader and smaller tractor to load clients bulk materials into their trucks and trailers. You will take phone orders and operate our registers.
Please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org